Thursday, April 3, 2008

Plant growth update



10ft tall tomatoes!!
Well perhaps not quite 10ft but they are much taller than I am even when I am standing on the gravel in the growbeds. In fact some seem to be trying to escape out the window at the top ridge of the shed.
The first picture shows the tomatoes about 6 weeks ago and the second , more recent picture, shows much bushier growth with runners almost to the roof! We have eaten a fair few of the fruit but there are now a bit hard to find in amongst the foliage. I plan to do a fair bit of leaf pruning fairly soon. Early fears that the flowers would not be pollinated don't seem to have come to pass and although not as prolific as I had hoped we are still getting new fruit. With a bit of luck we will continue to get tomatoes from the aquaponics setup for some time yet. In the dirt garden I expect that we are at the end of the season as the frosts are likely very soon.

Despite my earlier comments about lack of nutrients and light the vegetables have been quite productive.
We have had 2 separate batches of tat soi, several of lettuce, and good supplies of peas.
The coriander , in the picture with the beans, was a bit of a flop as it went to seed very quickly- Di reckons it was too hot at the time. Some of the other plantings also went to seed a bit quickly -perhaps for the same reasons. We also had rather slow growth with one of the lettuce varieties and the leaves were bitter so they were pulled out and fed to the chooks
We are currently getting a feed of beans about 2 or 3 times a week from about 30 plants- 10 in each grow bed- some are low as in the picture while the rest are growing on the supports I put in for the peas and tomatoes.
I have not really been a gardener before and so it is quite a thrill to be able to harvest fresh produce whenever I am in the shed.
All I need now is for the fish to produce MORE POO!
This is probably unrealistic now and I will have to wait for the warmer weather to return.

There is however the plan for a hotwater heat exchange unit for the fish- more later!!

No comments: